NHS Today

Huskies Fall Short Against KUA

Due to Wednesday’s game against Dexter School being rescheduled as a result of the snow storm that blanketed New England, the Huskies had a couple days extra to prepare for the rematch against Kimball Union Academy this evening. Tonight’s game has huge implications for both teams. The winner of the game, will be in the driver seat for the Lakes Regions Regular Season title. The Huskies knew that KUA would come out hard, looking to seek revenge for the loss, New Hampton handed them a week ago. In the first couple minutes, KUA put a lot of pressure on the Huskies, but New Hampton did a great job of playing solid defense to weather the storm. Around the three-minute mark of the game, Zak Lanoue caused a turnover at the Huskies defensive blue line, then skated the puck down the ice before dropping the puck to Jake Dunlap, just inside the KUA zone. Dunlap picked up the drop passed and fired a wrist shot far side, over the KUA goaltenders pad and into the corner, to give New Hampton an early lead. The Huskies lead did not last long however, KUA responded with a goal three minutes later, tying the game at one. The rest of the period was evenly played by both teams, neither team allowing the other to create much offensively. The second period has typically been the Huskies worst period and tonight was no different. New Hampton allowed three goals and were unable to capitalize on the chances they created. After two periods of play, the Huskies were down 4-1. In the third period, New Hampton came out hard, looking to get back in the game. Two minutes into the period, the Huskies were able to draw a five-minute penalty, giving them the opportunity to get back in the game on the power play. The pressure from KUA’s penalty kill did not allow New Hampton to create many opportunities to score and after the five-minute power play, the Huskies remained down by three. A minute later, Bradley Shaw was able to bring New Hampton back within two off a nice wrist shot from the top of the circle that beat the KUA goaltender to the glove side. On Shaw’s goal, there was a delayed penalty call against KUA, giving the Huskies a chance on the power play to cut KUA’s lead to one. However, New Hampton was once again not able to create much off of their power play opportunity and with eight minutes to go in the game, the Huskies remained down by two. In the last eight minutes, New Hampton battled hard, but they were unable to get past the strong KUA defense and goaltender. The Huskies lost a hard-fought game, to a very good KUA team, 4-2. Matt Sayles played well in net to keep New Hampton in the game, stopping 31 of the 35 shots he faced. The Huskies will look to get back on the winning track on Sunday, February 12th, when they travel to the University of Southern Maine to take on Kents Hill School, in a neutral site game.
An independent, college preparatory school for boarding and day students, grades 9-12 and postgraduate.
© Copyright 2016
New Hampton School
70 Main St., New Hampton, NH, 03256 (603)-677-3400